What to expect in 2021
FIRE HYDRANTS – Approximately 60% were installed in the 1920s. Many existing hydrants will be refurbished and should not require much excavation in order to repair, others will require full replacement. Some homes in the area may temporarily experience rust-colored water. Map
- 11 Fire Hydrants – New (in new locations)
- 45 Fire Hydrants – replaced/refurbished
GATE VALVES – Valves are used to isolate water main sections for repair. Approximately 60% were originally installed in the 1920s. New gate valves are also required in order to be in compliance with the current standards. Map
- 8 Gate Valves - New
- 67 Gate Valves - replaced/refurbished
VERIFICATION OF WATER SERVICE LINE MATERIAL - as a result of unfunded State regulations, by 2025, the City is required to identify the material of all water service pipes leading into all homes and businesses in the City. Any service line that consists of lead or galvanized steel is required to be replaced with the cost born completely by the City. Approximately 315 verifications will occur per year and will include the replacement of Stop Boxes. Verifications are required both inside your residents/business and at the curb stop near the sidewalk. The work to verify the material at the curb stop will require excavation. Map
- In 2021, we are planning approximately 315 exterior verifications.
LEAD SERVICE LINE REPLACEMENTS – we do not believe that there is an excessive number of lead and/or galvanized water lines in the City. The Michigan Dept. of Environment, Great Lakes & Energy (EGLE) requires all communities to start the verification process this year and begin replacing a minimum of 5% of those identified each year.
- In 2021, we are planning to schedule the replacement of 10 to 20 water service lines.
WATER METER REPLACEMENTS - the water meter stock in Lathrup Village is dated and most have outlived their expected life. Some are reporting inconsistent readings. A testing process of meters in the homes has been initiated. It is anticipated that meters will need to be replaced. An RFP will be issued for new water meters, with real-time reporting of usage.WATER MAIN REPLACEMENTS - water mains will be replaced this summer/fall.
- Wiltshire (from Southfield to Lathrup Blvd)
- San Rosa (from Southfield to Lathrup Blvd)
SANITARY SEWER REPAIRS - based upon this year’s sewer line inspections, sewer line repairs will occur.
SANITARY RETENTION TANK - the “Tank” is connected to the Evergreen Farmington Sanitary Sewage District, which has recently become a Chapter 20 Drainage District. In order to increase discharge capacity, prevent sewer overflows, and address the Corrective Action Plan (CAP) under the Administrative Consent Order (ACO), the Tank requires significant upgrades and expansion of its capacity. The tank also requires some necessary repairs and upgrades due to its age.
STREET REPAVING PROJECT 2021 – (Map Link) Voters approved the $5.845 bond millage for street improvements. The 3-year projects are scheduled to being in early May and will include either reconstruction or resurfacing. Parts of the following streets will undergo repaving activities:
SIDEWALKS – the Sidewalk Replacement Program is expected to span over 3 years. The property owner remains responsible for the costs of the repair/replacement. Owners can repair the sidewalk themselves or participate with the city contractor. Under the city program, permit fees are waived and the payments may be spread over 2 years. In 2021, the sidewalk replacement area will include:
- Southfield Road Commercial Corridor between Lincoln and 12 Mile Road
- Residential areas south of I-696/11 Mile, both east and west of Southfield Road
- Informational Sidewalk Replacement Letter
- Sidewalk Replacement Program Outline
- Sidewalk Replacement Program Marking Key
What to expect in 2022
The Infrastructure Committee recommended and City Council approved 2.24 miles of road repaving for the 2022 construction season. These specific roads are noted below:
- Lacrosse: Bloomfield to Santa Barbara
- Glenwood: Santa Barbara to Bloomfield
- Saratoga: Bloomfield to Sunset
- Cambridge: Santa Barbara to Bloomfield
- San Rosa: Southfield Road to the City Line
- Wiltshire: Southfield Road to the City Line
- East California: Southfield Road to Southfield Road
- Lathrup Boulevard: Southfield Road to Coral Gables
- Rainbow Court: Rainbow Drive to Rainbow Court
- Eldorado Place: Middlesex to Rainbow Drive
- Cambridge*: Southfield Road to Lathrup Boulevard
* - Contingent upon approval of their ditch special assessment district.